PPG recently published its 2020 Sustainability Report, highlighting the company’s progress against key environmental, social and governance (ESG) areas.
“Our unwavering commitment to ‘protect and beautify the world’ guides our more than 46,000 employees to further advance our sustainability progress each day,” says Michael H. McGarry, PPG Chairman and CEO. “We continue to innovate, invest and develop sustainably advantaged products and processes that our customers and other stakeholders count on to create a more sustainable future. As highlighted in our latest Sustainability Report, we have made significant progress within our many ESG-related initiatives, and we continue to drive our ambitious targets forward.”
Throughout last year, PPG says it improved the sustainability of its products, processes and operations, decreasing its overall global environmental footprint. Highlights include:
- 35% of sales from sustainably advantaged products and processes, including the launch of antibacterial and antiviral products, against the goal of 40% by 2025;
- 35% of manufacturing and research and development locations with zero process waste to landfill;
- 34% reduction in waste disposal intensity from the 2017 baseline – above the 25% goal by 2025;
- 15% reduction in water intensity from the 2017 baseline against the goal of 20% by 2025;
- 33% reduction in the spills and releases rate from the 2017 baseline; and
- 24% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions since 2017.